Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE



I am thankful for the tree trimming people who left us a big bunch of wood chips for mulch. Even if they did grind up Billy's favorite Mulberry tree limbs he had set aside for his BBQ. OOPs... I guess what we had there was "a failure to communicate" as Paul Newman said. Did you know that silkworms only eat fresh Mulberry leaves? I love my Mulberry Tree because it helps to feed a lot of birds. But people do wonder what all those purple puddles are in our yard! Birds have poor toilet etiquette. I'd show you a pic of my mulch but after you've seen one pile of mulch, you've pretty mulch seen them all. LOL..It does smell so nice though. All a green, woody, nature, fruity, sort of smell. That fruity part is probably Billy's Mulberry limbs. ~00~

I don't have much available right now for mulch other than that, except pine straw in the woods. That is so hard to gather though, with all the limbs and junk in it since the winds whipped through. Thank goodness I still have some of my old hay left though. I am going to throw that over my square foot garden boxes as soon as everything is harvested.

I have to talk Billy into leaving some Okra to dry on the vine. He keeps picking it for his gumbo making. I thought I might make some of those little little angels I found over on this blog. She makes the cutest angels from Okra. You can buy dried Okra even if you can't grow it yourself, at craft stores. Check out her blog, you will love it. flaurella's blog It is not just about crafts.

16 comments:

Cindy said...

Those little angels are adorable. I never thought of using okra pods in crafts before.

Carla said...

WOW okra angels! Darling! I used to have a woodchip pile. Might have to call my electric company. Sorry about the miss-communication! Such is life, right? Someday I will have a mature fruiting mulberry in my yard. Again, love those angels!

Skeeter said...

The Saint would die if his smoking woods got mulched up! When I worked in the craft store, One of our clients made okra Angels and also okra Santas. They were big sellers in the store...

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, gumbo! I love it and haven't had any in years!
Brenda

Lib said...

Hi Eve,
Oops! We have a mulberry tree.
Those angels are precious!
I've painted okra red and then painted santa face /beard.But never seen angels.
HAve a gret wk.
Blessins',Lib

Peggy said...

I made some okra angels last year. Yours look much prettier

cinnamongirl93 said...

The angels are ever so sweet. Are you going to make a few? They would look so cool on a Christmas wreath on your front door.
We have a mulberry tree/bush on the edge of our property. I'm surprised my DH didn't cut it down yet. He hates all the mess the tree makes. The mess doesn't bother me.

JoyceAnn said...

Love those okra angels , they're cute and would be simple to make. Thanks for sharing this idea.

~ Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

Gail said...

The angels are adorable...I have Okra Santas that you would like, too! I love putting them on the tree! They are so very southern!

We just got our notice that the city is going to be in our neighborhood ruining our trees! I have to call an arborist to visit and take of the trees before they destroy a 75 yr old Oak! Sorry, I ranted all over this comment!

Gail

Eve said...

That's okay, Gail. I rant when they cut my Mulberry tree almost to the ground but it does always come back. One year, they cut it even with the ground. IT's not under the lines but the limbs do spread out.

Anonymous said...

How do people think of stuff like this??? I'm always amazed at people's creativity. I have always believed fried okra to be heavenly, but these little angels truly are! Thanks for posting them!

Yolanda said...

Such a wonderful use of okra pods. Where on the coast do you live? I grew up in ms.

Eve said...

Yolanda, I live in Gpt.

Susie said...

My grandparents had a Mulberry tree in their backyard. We use to walk around barefooted so you can imagine what the bottoms of our feet looked like. The stain lasted awhile too!

Fete et Fleur said...

I love Mulberry trees. We used to have two in front of our old house. I miss those beautiful leaves.

Nancy

Kudzu said...

Wow, I just checked Cindee's blog and got far enough down her list to see a fellow Mississippian! And from the Coast, no less! And the mulberry story caught my eye, we've got an ancient one here. I love the "okree" angels, but don't have access to any pods.
Kudzu